Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thoughts From a Smoker

Last summer, at a garage sale, I was able to purchase - for the amazing sum of $5 - a Brinkman charcoal smoker. The transaction was completed right before my youngest kiddo threw up on the lawn at the garage sale. The gentleman loading the smoker into the back of my pickup informed me that it was a good thing I had already paid for the the smoker - as the price would be a lot more now that he had to clean up vomit.

I hauled the smoker home and it sat in front of the garage for about 6 weeks. I was excited about the smoker and I thought my hubby would be as well, but neither of us knew anything about smoking. (or inhaling for that matter) My favorite (and only) father-in-law scoffed about using a $5 garage sale smoker, he had an electric one at his house and was sure it was superior.


Just as I was about ready to give away the smoker to a girlfriend my husband said "No, let's keep it and try it out." So we did . . . and we have used it over and over and over again. We love smoking. Pork roasts, country ribs, chickens and even a turkey. Just yesterday I put two pork roasts in the smoker at about 1pm and by 6:30 we feasted on tender, flavorful smoked pork. My thoughtful hubby had picked corn so we roasted corn and fingerling potatoes on the bbq to accompany our smoked pork. Yummy! My father-in -law has also become a convert, judging by the way he ate while he was here for the last month!

My point: this is a really easy, cheap, and non messy way to cook dinner. We didn't know anything about this when we started out . . . we just dove in and tried it out. I'm including a recipe for a really good rub that is good on chicken, pork and turkey. I hope you find smoking as enjoyable as we do!

Sugarless Barbecue Rub:

This recipe makes about 1 cup of rub, but you can double it or triple it and store it for future use. I purchase paprika and most other spices used in the recipe in bulk at the natural food store.

1/3 cup salt
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1tablespoon cayenne

Combine all of the ingredients. When you are ready to use this rub, sprinkle it heavily and then rub it into the meat. Because there is no sugar in this rub it can be used on the bbq as well as with indirect heat from a smoker.

No comments:

Post a Comment